Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lessons in Marriage # 6: What I've learned from my dog

++ Okay, hear me out. I am somewhat comparing marriage to your relationship with your dog. BUT I know marriage is way harder, way more complicated, way more rewarding; people have more feelings, more wants, more needs; but just hear what I have to say. ++

This is my parents dog Allie. If I say my dog I'm referring to her. We don't have a pup of our own yet.


1. They are beyond excited to see you when you come home
One thing I am trying to do on my days off is greet Cory with joy. Even if I had a boring, bad, annoying day, he deserves to be met at the door with a smile and a kiss. We as wives should make our husbands feel that we are so happy they are back in our presence.

2. They forgive easy
Have you ever noticed dogs don't hold grudges? You can leave them home alone for hours and hours; forget to take them to the park; not throw them their ball (even though obviously that's the only thing on their minds) and they will still give you kisses, stand by your side, and let you pet them. They let things go right away.

3. They try and please us
 It seems as though a dogs sole purpose is to please their masters. They obey without abandon. They make us laugh and comfort us just by being present. How different would our marriages be if we strived to please our spouse everyday?

4. They stand by your side
No matter what they stand next to you. You could be disciplining them, doing something wrong (for all they know), being mean, but no matter what they are there. This comparison really comes out at the fact that we need to be our spouse's teammate. Stand by them, help them, let them lean on you. We took those vows "for better or for worse" and we need to live them out "till death do us part". (Yup I take that seriously)

5. They don't sweat the small stuff
Of course we as humans have way more on our plates than our dogs. But seeing how they choose to be happy and enjoy what they are doing to the fullest makes you think about how you are living your life. They don't get all bent out of shape when you don't roll the window down for them. They don't start whining when their food isn't as great as maybe the last bag of dog food. In other words, they don't sweat the small stuff. And neither should we. 

I know a relationship in a marriage takes more work than the relationship with your dog. But observing how my dog treats me gives me a little perspective to how I treat Cory. And I could do better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment