Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lessons In Marriage: #7 Communicate In The Now

 
Communication is key.
 
We hear it all the time. One of the most common pieces of advice given out to couples is to always communicate. Talk it out. I get it. Or so I thought. 
 
I like to think that my husband and I are good communicators. We talk about our feelings and are open about what we want and don't want.
This last weekend though, I learned something about my own communication skills.
 
I need to communicate more in the now. When an argument is about to happen or I feel like I'm getting upset or hurt. I'm really bad at that.
I tend to assume something about my husband (i.e why he's doing something, what he really meant by his words) and then get mad at him for doing or saying something way before I even know the truth behind his words or actions.  Hold up Leah. That's so wrong!
 
In the moment, before I get angry or hurt, I need to talk to my husband;,ask him what he is really feeling or meaning by what he says. Communicate with him in the moment and not way after the fact. It's a difficult thing to do at times; pause and take a moment to talk through emotions I might be having. Not jumping to conclusions then jumping on my husband for those conclusions.
 
This is something that I am working on and most likely will be working on this my entire life. But, I'm so glad I realized this about myself now, earlier in our marriage.
 
What I'm also learning is to not be afraid to express my feelings. Every feeling. If I don't, things will go unsaid and feelings could get hurt. We need to talk to our spouses and be honest with them. They love us and care for us and desire to know what is on our hearts.
 
Talk it out now.
 
xo leah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment