Monday, July 28, 2014

A Day Berry Picking: Sauvie Island Farms


My friend Lauren and I both had the day off and we decided to head to Sauvie Island Farms to spend the early afternoon getting us some berries. Apparently I've been living under a rock because in the 19 years I've been in Oregon, I haven't once been here to pick berries. Granted, my parents had a pretty nice sized urban garden and I spent many a summer day picking the green beans, lettuce, and raspberries in our backyard. However, going to a huge island with an over abundance of fruit and vegetables to hand pick…it pretty much confirmed my desire to live on a farm. 

We loaded up our wagons with the buckets and bowls we brought and headed out. 
First stop: the Blueberries.









Oh yeah..did anyone know that cabbage grew like this? No idea! They were seriously 3 feet wide.



We pretty much picked one of the hottest days of the week to go and be berry pickers, but it was worth it. Sitting, talking, picking, and eating our way down the rows. It was so beautiful to see fruit in it's natural state. Definitely made me appreciate just going to the store to pick up a quart of berries. 







Between us we picked about 6 gallons of blueberries. They were delicious. 

We headed down the path to the Marionberries. These were definitely a labor of love. 






 We finished by the peach trees. I came out with some of the largest peaches I've ever laid my hands on. 


This place not only had fruit till your heart (and hands) were content, but had everything from broccoli, beets, and peppers, to dill, rosemary, and flowers. The Dahlias were so beautiful.




Even though it was hot and tiring, the 4 hours out in the sun was totally worth it. Walking back to the car I couldn't help myself to want to pick more and more. There was so much goodness just screaming to be picked! 

I am so glad we went and I know this will be a summer tradition from now on. I might just have to grow my own mini farm!



To berries for days,

xo leah


No comments:

Post a Comment