Thursday, January 15, 2015

Talking Buns: 5 Things for Health


I was having a conversation with my dad the other day, talking about the top three things you can do to keep yourself healthy. There are many important things to keep yourself healthy but for some reason we trying to narrow it down to just the top three. But it got me thinking. What if I had to think of the top 5 things I could do for myself this year that would yield the greatest benefits to myself? 
Well, I came up with a little list. 


1. Sleep I have seen the miraculous powers that sleep can have on a body. I don't nap and can't really nap on command like some people, so for me going to bed at a reasonable hour every night makes all the difference. Sleep heals the body. It improves your memory, aids in decreasing inflammation, improves your attention during the day, and goes hand in hand with your metabolism*. I can tell personally when I might be coming down with something and need to go to be early..like 7 or even 6! And I've done it. Getting enough sleep every night is definitely on my top 5 this year. I'm going to help myself do this by turning off the phones right after dinner and not eating too late either. 

2. Eating Fresh Going along the lines of staying healthy, I need to eat better. My metabolism has blessed me with staying thin..on the outside. I know all to well the negative effects that happen on the inside of your body from not eating well. Eating fresh foods and stocking our fridge more than our pantry is going to be so beneficial for me this year.

3. Pray The relationship I have with Jesus is very important to me. Sometimes it goes on the back burner though. When this happens my heart and mind are left with spaces for things like doubt, anxiety, fear, and stress to creep in. The more I pray and just talk to Jesus the closer I feel to Him. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, " plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"." Jeremiah 29:11 Doubt and anxiety are terrible and often debilitating things. I want less of these this year. 

4. Drink more water This one is pretty simple. Just drink more water. 

5. Walk I don't like working out. I actually really hate it. Well, I hate the idea of it. Who would rather push themselves in hot or cold weather or drive 20 minutes to a gym and have people stare at you while you workout…. um not me. But I have found that I do like how I feel after I've done some form of exercise. I've noticed that I really enjoy walks/slow jogs with my dogs.  If I can continue to stay in a habit of walking more I know this will be a great thing for my mind and body. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other great things I could have added to this list. But these were my top five. What are your top things you can do this year for yourself?


To staying healthy, mind, body, and soul // leah






 *I'm not a doctor but I've gathered this information through my studies as an RN.



No comments:

Post a Comment