Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Talking Buns: 5 Things





This weekend was really great. My friend Pam was in town and, as usual, she brought her camera and snapped some pictures. She took some of me, my little family, and of the place we call home. We were able to have some much needed one on one catching up time (as she just moved to Missouri!), we spent some time with friends, and I was able to get some rest and have a little me-time. There were some really great things that stuck with me this weekend and I thought I couldn't help but share 5 of them (they are a little random so bare with me).




1. See yourself as others see you


I love when Pam takes photos of my family. She has a way of capturing not just moments, but emotions. Whenever I see the photos of myself I always comment, "Pam you make me look so pretty!". And her response is always "you are pretty, that's how I always see you.".  She has said this comment before but I've always brushed it off. This time I actually took it to heart. Lately I think my eyes and ears have been a little more open and receptive to what has been around me. Novel thought, what if we actually took to heart all the compliments that people told us about ourselves? How pretty we are, how smart we are; how wonderful we raise our children, how well we do at keeping a calm home. The list goes on. How wonderful it would be to grow our self love and self worth if we listened to the positives and believed them ourselves. I'm going to try to do this more often. How about trying it as well?

2. Share your feelings with those who have similar experiences

Over the past few weeks after our recent loss it's been paramount for me to be able to talk. Share to my spouse how I'm feeling, as those emotions come up. Every day is different, my mood changes and different things trigger that. Sharing how I'm feeling with Cory has been so important. But there was that missing piece that he just couldn't relate to. The longing to be a mom and the feelings you get when your body just says no. I connected with a friend who had a miscarriage recently. Freeing. How freeing it was to share exactly how I was feeling with some other woman who has felt the same way. My feelings were validated and I feel like I've finally had some closure with the situation. Everyone is different and has their preferences with how they grieve, however, I truly believe there is something powerful in talking things through. And a good cry at that as well.

3. Alone time is rejuvenating

Don't schedule a thing. For a whole day. Absolutely nothing. When we have time to just breath in silence, to not have to leave the house for anything, we get recharged. Make that fancy grocery list and rewrite it twice if you want just to make it look pretty, go for a walk at that very second you decide you want to; you want new flowers in the house, go get a few bunches. Do want you want, not what you need to do. Give your time to just be. Take some calming breaths and re-center yourself. Give yourself time. Whatever that may look like. Time to think, breath, stretch, eat healthy, refocus your goals. Be alone with yourself for a little bit. Oh the things it can do for you.

4. Shopping is always therapeutic

If you are in Portland there is a cute little store I just discovered. Porch Light It's this cute little Anthro-inspired store that sells a variety of feel good things. See candles, succulents, and beautiful jewelry. It's been on my check-out list for a while and I finally was able to pop in.


5. Eating clean is good all around

I decided to start another round of whole 30. I was feeling a little disconnected from my eating habits and from my body lately. And what better way then to do a little reboot. The whole 30 program is really great and I definitely swear by the fact that I do feel better when I eat this way. I'm ready to reconnect with my body and the foods I'm eating. Ready to get back into a healthy routine of eating habits before the summer ends.

Thanks for listening to all that randomness! I dare you to give yourself some alone time if you are feeling like you need a recharge. Laugh and love yourself.


xo / leah









No comments:

Post a Comment