Sunday, July 19, 2015

Birthday: Quarter of a Century


{photo circa 1995 of my sister and I at the Portland Rose Gardens}

This weekend I turned 25!! The day was absolutely perfect. We did exactly what I was hoping to do. Eat and walk my way around Portland. But before we get started with how awesome the day was, lets rewind to a few days prior. 

My twin sister and I share a birthday, obviously, but my brother is two years younger than us and was born just 4 days after our 2nd birthday. My sister drove down from Seattle for a night so we all could celebrate together. We ordered pizzas and just sat around outside catching up and talking about the year that was and the year that was to be. 



It was so special to have both of them there to start this birthday week off right. 

On my actual birthday I woke up to the smell of bacon being cooked in the kitchen by Cory. That man knows the way to my heart. After a light breakfast we headed to Pip's Doughnuts for the most amazing doughnuts I've ever had. I've been looking forward to going to the place for a while. Not only do they have perfectly small, delicious, hand-made doughnuts, but they have Chai flights (!!) , and on your birthday you get a free dozen of those little yummies. So yeah, this day started off perfectly! We were able to try all there little flavor combinations and taste every last drop of their perfectly made Chai. My favorite doughnut was the apricot-habenero and my favorite chai was the King and I. 




We walked around Fremont for a little while, perusing through little shops and just exploring that part of Portland. Some beautiful homes are in this neighborhood as well. We then headed over to Division where we knew we'd be having lunch. We walked around and explored some more shops, a fun one was Artifact; a place to get neat little gifts, up-cycled clothes, jewelry and furniture pieces, definitely Portland I'd say. We were halfway trying to find a new restaurant to try for lunch, but the Pok Pok wings were calling us and we just couldn't resist. 


Of course we weren't disappointed. After a delicious lunch we decided to head home to cool off a bit (it was 95 that afternoon) and to rest up before night time. 
Cory surprised me with dinner. He made reservations at Departure and completely surprised me with this gorgeous restaurant downtown. He's not the type who loves being downtown and after a day of walking around it I didn't think he'd be up for going back down. But he surprised me and it was oh so wonderful! We split a couple small plates from the restaurant and had a few cocktails to celebrate the day. We then met up with some friends at East Burn for some rounds of Skee Ball and Cornhole. We stayed there for a few hours before realizing we were hungry again. So we finished the night at Straight from new York for none other than a huge slice of pizza. 


The day was so wonderful and I felt incredibly special. I have an amazing husband who surprises and spoils me, I have a city that is just dripping with good food and fun places, and friends who love to have a good time. This birthday looks a little different than what I was expecting it to, but it was so wonderful and one I will always remember. 

Thank you to everyone, friend and family, who made this birthday time a lovely one. 

xo / leah

No comments:

Post a Comment