Friday, March 22, 2013

Lessons in Marriage #5: We Love Differently


This week Cory and I had a breakthrough with something. 

My work schedule allows many days off at home. Only working 3-4 days a week will allow that. And with all this time at home, I like to make sure the house is clean, the laundry is done, a good meal has been prepared, and the fridge is always stocked. Some little responsibilities I feel I have because of this time off. 

Recently though, I've been noticing more and more that on my work days when I come home to see the kitchen not-so-clean and clothes spewed all over the bedroom, I get a little frustrated. I make sure this house is nice, why can't he? Doesn't he notice that I would appreciate the dishes all cleaned and put away? These are some of the statements I make in my head. 

From Cory's perspective: Why does she come home in a bad mood? Can't she leave work at work? I always make sure I'm in a good mood when I arrive home, why can't she be?

Our breakthrough: We love each other in ways that we would want to be loved. We expect we'll get the same from our partner just because we do such things/act in such ways.

This week my prayer has been to do more of what I do just because I want to - not because I hope he'll do that on his days off. Learning this was huge for me, and for our marriage. If we want each other to do more of something, simply doing it ourselves is not enough. We need to tell them. 

Appreciate how our spouses love us and try our best to show them the love they expect. 

More in love with my husband this week because of learning this.

No comments:

Post a Comment