Monday, January 14, 2013

Lessons in Marriage #1

As a wife I thrive on my husbands affection and adoration. It fuels my confidence and re-energizes my world. This is how it should be. As wives we should shine brighter by our husband's positive time and words he sends our way. However, this should not be the only means of how we become more happier beings. 

Lately, I've been struggling a bit with this. Rewind my life about 8 months ago. While in school my only free time was spent working out and studying. Not much time to pursue hobbies and figure out other non-work related things that made me happy. After graduation my world was consumed with wedding planning and starting out my nursing career. Flash forward to now, I am still working (yes actually working) on trying to find hobbies and passions outside my work (and outside my husband's interests)

When I become bored I seem to crave more of his attention. And this I do not think is good (for me or our marriage). When my need for his attention is stemming from boredom it forces him to take on a role of Leah's entertainer. Affection and adoration should come from my husbands love for me. I shouldn't put him in a role that makes him feel like he is smothered with me me me and making me feel entertained.

All of this comes down to a several issues. *I need to find hobbies that occupy my time. I've always had "interests" but none that I really pursued. *I need to know how to be content doing-my-own-thing when we're both home. *I need to continue to have the mindset that he is not here to make me happy (of course he does by being the loving husband he is to me, but that is not his sole purpose). 

Going into marriage I knew this last point was true (he's not here to make me happy. Sometimes its hard though. Especially if I've had 4 days off to myself. No excuses though. These are things that I need to work on and will probably be working on throughout our marriage.  

I've very blessed to have a husband who truly does love me and wants to see me happy. He encourages me to explore my interests and participate in activities that make me happy. 

Any newlywed problems that you are struggling with? Any hobby suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment