Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lessons in Marriage #2: No one likes a negative Nancy


As you know last weekend we went to Central Oregon. One of our adventures was a spontaneous off-roading trip. We took off headed to Bachelor in hopes of finding a non-snow-plowed road. About 5 minutes into our drive we had found it. We slowly started down the snowy road. 

From the get go I kept telling Cory things like "please be careful...we haven't really done this before...don't go too fast...I really don't want to get stuck out here..."...on and on and on.. Let's just say my "little words of kind advice" were coming out very frequently. 

Needless to say, we got stuck. For an hour. During the time of digging out snow, turning the wheel the way he told me to, pushing the gas, going in reverse, ... now repeat the whole thing... I was quite the negative Nancy. 

The weird thing was I had a huge conversation about it in my head to myself. It went a little like this: "Leah be more positive, he didn't want to get stuck either....yes he did, he went to fast and tried to show off...stop that, how would you feel if you were the one driving? would you want him to be positive or negative?....I wouldn't have gotten us stuck..." Wow, how incredibly rude, selfish, and un-loving I was being. After a few more runs of talking to myself I decided to just be quiet and help with what I could.

It's sad how my natural tendency in that situation is to not trust him, not be positive, and not be encouraging. All of this hit me on our drive home. 

It's hard to trust when your scared, but that is no excuse. My husband is a good man. He tries his best to love me like Christ loves the church ~ he has my good interest in mind. So why doubt him?

This experience taught me several things. 
*Trust my husband. Practice trusting him in every small way possible. 

*It's still ok (it's more than ok, its great) to share my concerns and fears with Cory, but not repetitively.

* When you're having those internal good vs bad convo's in your head, you know which one is right, so choose it. 

* My husband is extremely strong and capable when we are stuck in the snow. 

What lessons have you learned lately? Anyone still struggling with trust issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment